Sunday, June 28, 2009

R.I.P. Michael Jackson



I am very saddened by the death of Michael Jackson. My prayers are for the children and family he left behind.

Yes, Michael was a strange man, and possibly an un-convicted criminal, but he was also a product of exploitation from his youth, and I feel that he always was seeking to recover the childhood that was robbed from him.

I will always miss the performer that was Michael Jackson. He was one of a kind and a boundlessly blessed performer. After his performance of Billie Jean at Mowtown 25 in 1983, he recieved a call from Fred Astaire complimenting his dance moves. That's like Babe Ruth calling you and saying "that was some home run you hit" or Bruce Lee complimenting your fighting skills.

I saw Michael Jackson in concert twice, back to back nights at Giants Stadium on the Jacksons "Victory" tour. It was an unforgettable experience. His renditions of "She's Out Of My Life", the Jackson 5 songs of his youth (and mine) and the songs off his "Thriller" album were absolutely amazing.

The first night, my cousin and I left the stadium right after the last number in an attempt to beat the traffic out of the stadium. On our way to the car we passed a fenced in area that contained a helicopter. The helicopter rose and left the area within seconds of us being there and as it rose we could see a figure dressed in sequins in the passenger seat. My cousin said "it's him!" and we both waved excitedley. We were the only people around. A second later we could see one gloved hand waving back at us. It is a memory I will always treasure. The L-rd be with you Michael. I hope you have found peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment